It’s almost Christmas, a time full of joy, happiness, love, food…
…stress, social pressure, anxiety, loneliness, and uncomfortable situations.
I have 10 don’ts for a happier Christmas. They make me re-focus and calm down when I need it the most.
1. Try to make everything perfect. Because nothing is ever perfect and by striving for perfection we are setting ourselves up for failure.
2. Overdo it on the food and drink. It will only make us feel crap after.
3. Forget to move. Make time for the gym or just some fresh air. It will counteract all the stress the holidays can put upon us.
4. Get caught up in “competitive Christmas”. It’s meant to be a great experience the way we like it. Not for our mom group, the in-laws or those following us for social media.
5. Forget to live in the moment. A lot happens very quickly in December and all of a sudden it has all gone and we barely had time to process any of it.
6. Sacrifice our me-time. If anything, give yourself more time to read books in front of a fireplace or take a long bath. Pajama-days are good days.
7. Pack our social calendars too full. It’s great to meet up with friends and colleagues, but if it’s too much in one go, it will feel like a burden instead of something fun.
8. Be a people pleaser. It’s easy to take on too much and forget ourselves.
9. Feel like Christmas “should” be a certain way. Christmas means different things to different people. We each have to find our own traditions and decide what matters to us.
10. Forget to prioritize. How many handwritten Christmas cards do we really have to send out? Do we have to make that dish from scratch? And who really cares about if there is a bit of dust in the corners?
Are we ready? …set….go!!
And if it all feels a bit much, keep my 10 don’ts for a happier Christmas in mind and never ever feel bad for using them.