The Cure For Instagram Anxiety

I get a tinsy bit of Insta-anxiety sometimes, but I try to let go of it. Maybe you could write a post about how not to compare yourself and your life in a negative way on Instagram? Even if you are content with your own self and life it’s easy to get caught up. Well, at least I do… big hug! /Emelie

I know exactly the feeling.

It’s too easy to scroll through our Instagram feeds and decide that EVERYONE out there have better lives than I do. Look at the holidays, tanned bodies, cool outfits, cute dogs and luxurious homes. I liked my life before, but now it feels dull in comparison.

Scary isn’t it?

I honestly don’t think anyone is immune to Instagram FOMO. I know I’m not. When I see gorgeous houses, especially abroad in tropical countries than all of a sudden London seem like such a boring place. Even though in reality I absolutely love to live here.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I only get to see the best 10% of someone’s life on Instagram. The 10%(or less) we choose to show off and the other 90% could be crap, we would never know. You could basically be homeless and still have a glossy Instagram feed if you had enough time and creativity. It’s not like I’m having cupcakes and champagne at Peggy Porschen all day long…

Instagram is not for real.

I noticed a while ago that Instagram gave me anxiety. It wasn’t fun to log in and just scroll anymore. Instead, I only clicked on the icon to put up a photo, answer some comments and some DMs before I logged out again.

…and you know what. There is nothing wrong with Instagram, it’s my own fault.

I have chosen to follow lots of accounts that gives me anxiety. My feed is completely chosen by me, nobody else. I wanted inspiration and ended up with the complete opposite and I only have myself to blame. I get anxiety from following the people you are ”supposed” to follow, the ones that know the Instagram game inside and out and seem to have everything anyone could ever wish for when I myself feel like I have so much left to achieve. And even though I know it’s only 10%, their 10 still seem way cooler than even my 100.

So I made another choice and started to unfollow.

As soon as a photo came up that didn’t have an interesting caption or felt a bit too ott and fake, I unfollowed. Instead, I replaced these accounts with those who actually give me something. Not only in photos and inspiration, but also in the captions. People with a similar style to me, other Swedes in London, moms talking about everyday struggles, young people sharing about mental health and accounts that educate or motivate me.

It’s great fun to look at beautiful photos of someone who seems to be on a constant holiday or can afford to buy all the fancy stuff int he world. But I don’t think it’s very healthy in the long run.

So if you, like me, have Instagram anxiety, don’t give up on Instagram, just change what you see. Unfollow the anxiety-inducing accounts and follow those who inspire you for real instead. They might not have 1.5M followers, but they might be just what you need to enjoy Instagram again.

This realization also made me have a good old look at my own account. I realized I rather post a bit less frequently but write from the heart when I do. It’s too easy to throw up a cute photo and a cliché, but I rather have an honest conversation. It might make me lose followers, who know, but at least I know I’m showing something more of me than champagne drinking and cupcake eating (even though that, of course, is great fun too.)

3 Instagram accounts I like at the moment. 

Baddiewinkle – You will know why when you check it out. She is my idol and I will be like her when I get old. Does she poop rainbows I wonder?

QuarterlifePoetry – Because these short little poems about life always make me giggle.

MotherofDaughters – When I find parenthood hard and need a reality check from someone who has 4 kids… and she happens to be funny too, especially in the stories. Also, don’t forget to follow her hubby FatherofDaughters, Garth is a massive fan.

Do you suffer from Instagram anxiety and do you have any great accounts to recommend?

Photos – Ida Zander. Top – Ted Baker. (adlink). Location – Peggy Porschen.

Write a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *